November 4, 2017-January 1, 2018
If you haven't been to Hendersonville lately for the holidays, you need to check out all the new, festive events along with magical Main Street decked out in many thousands of lights - including store competing in the decoration contest. With more than 100 one-of-a-kind stores and galleries plus 24 local restaurants, it's a delight to spend the day exploring downtown. Events during their "Come Home for the Holidays" include Flat Rock Playhouse productions, carriage rides, concerts and even ice skating. This charming, bustling town is just 25 miles south of Christmas at Biltmore and Asheville.
Discover one the best downtowns for shopping in all of North Carolina. Mast General Store is always a must stop. Galleries abound. The charming Main Street of beautifully restored historic buildings looks ready for a Hallmark Channel movie filming! Many stores stay open late, especially on Friday and Saturday nights.
- The glow of thousands of lights, including the giant Christmas trees at the historic Courthouse, kicks off on the Friday evening after Thanksgiving (November 24) with sing-a-longs, Santa, hot chocolate and great shopping.
- Enjoy the lights every evening through January 1st.
- Carolers sing at the Historic Courthouse Square on Friday and Saturday evenings, December 1-23.
- Carriage Rides down Main Street will be offered Saturdays 6-9 PM on December 6, 16, 23, 30 - plus New Year's Eve. No reservations, small fee.
- The hometown Christmas Parade travels Main Street from Five Points to Caswell Street on December 2, starting at 10:30 AM
- The Holiday Tour of Historic Inns and Cookie Caper is a self-guided tour of several of the grand homes downtown that are now B&B, December 10, 1-4 PM. Admission benefits the local preservation efforts.
- The Iceless Skating Rick has synthetic ice for great conditions no matter the weather. It's at the Visitor Center parking lot (201 South Main St), December 19-Jan 1. It's open 11 AM-7 PM Monday-Saturday and 1-4 PM Sunday.
- “The Flat Rock Playhouse Christmas Spectacular” original musical revue runs November 25-December 22 on the Mainstage in nearby Flat Rock.
- “The Best Christmas Pageant Ever” classic tale runs in the Flat Rock Playhouse location in downtown Hendersonville on November 30-December 17.
- Tannenbaum Tea on December 12th at a dozen merchants serves tea and treats to guests.
- Hendersonville Symphony Orchestra presents "Joy: Christmas by the Masters" on December 9 at 3 PM & 7:30 PM.
Go to the Hendersonville Web site for a full schedule of their "Come Home for the Holidays" events. Most are free.